Friday, June 02, 2006

BusMonth Diary: Day 1

While the morning ride on the Commuter Express 422 on Thursday was pleasant despite whisting dude, the return commute was like a quick visit to the Third World. Part of it was the weather, and the fact that the rickety old bus (most of the commuter exresses are new with charter bus-like plushness) that seemed to be a MTA reject had no air conditioning. It was 20 mintues late and packed with people. I squeezed passed the other hot, sweaty grumpy workers to the very back where I found a small step to squat upon right in front of the last row. Note to self: No more white clothes.

After about 5 minutes I was drenched with sweat. I could feel it dripping from my kneepit, and cruising down my back. The smell of the engine might have made me sick had I felt the least bit queasy. 1 hour and 10 minute of jerking down the 101 freeway later, I limped off the bus, gurbby, stinky and with numb butt, and sat down to wait for the 200 Alvarado. Normally, I would walk the 1.1 mile home. Not today.

Two hours after I left the office, I was home. I cranked up the a/c and poured a glass of wine and plopped on the couch. I was too tired for anything else. I hope I get better at this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home